People Helping People is dedicated to improving the lives of men, women and children in the Santa Ynez Valley, Los Alamos and surrounding communities by addressing emergency and basic needs, furnishing comprehensive integrated family and individual support services and acting as a catalyst for positive community change.
Overview of Programs & Services
SANTA YNEZ VALLEY YOUTH COALITION
- We provide financial and other assistance to help individuals and families experiencing homelessness or at imminent risk of homelessness. These services may include food distribution, rental/mortgage assistance, transportation, moving expenses, temporary shelter, food/meals and other essentials, household goods, and clothing.
Domestic Violence Prevention
- Our advocates for Domestic & Child Abuse Prevention work with the Sheriff’s Department’s Emergency Response Team to help victims develop a safety plan, get medical attention, shelter, food, rental assistance, legal aid, and counseling service.
Child Abuse & Neglect Prevention
- As mandated reporters, our first priority is to the well-being of the child. Many times we are able to prevent abuse by offering support, education, counseling and respite.
Protect our Seniors
- Keeping our seniors safe and secure is part of our mission. We provide basic needs, healthcare and support services. We are able to provide transportation for seniors to access their services and our counseling services are available for those feeling isolated and alone.
Parenting Support and Education
- We provide a curriculum for families that offers information about early childhood development and positive parenting for expectant parents and caregivers. This is a critical area of need with families now providing distance learning for schools. We are able to provide culturally competent programming.
- We have staff that are skilled in providing translation services for individuals and families that are struggling to understand business or government forms, healthcare questions, housing concerns and communicating with teachers or school administrators.
SANTA YNEZ VALLEY YOUTH COALITION
Mary Conway, Youth Coalition Director
- The Youth Coalition has been working to prevent and reduce the negative impacts of youth substance use in our Valley for the past 14 years, collaborating with all sectors of the community.
- The implementation of research-based, proven prevention strategies, has resulted in the dramatic decline of substance use among our youth since 2008. These declines are affecting alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, prescription drug misuse and binge drinking in the Santa Ynez Valley. This prevention work is on-going with new drug trends enticing our youth every day.
- In partnership with the Santa Ynez Valley High School District, a PHP Mentor provides academic and life skills coaching to students from both Santa Ynez and Refugio High Schools. 60+ case managed students receive one on one mentoring throughout the school year with a goal of attaining a 100% graduation rate for these students. The “Pirates Cove” classroom at the high school is available to all students before and after school and during nutritional breaks. The Cove provides a safe and supportive environment where students can receive additional help with school work, computer support, and mentoring, as well as socializing with friends.
Health and Wellness Services
- Lack of health insurance or inadequate insurance impacts many members of our community, and it has significant health consequences. Uninsured or underinsured individuals have a higher prevalence of chronic medical illness, greater physical morbidity, and higher mortality. We connect clients to health care professionals, doctors, dentists, vision care, counselors, pharmacies, and labs that will provide free and/or discounted services.
- Our staff are trained and certified to assist clients with access to mainstream benefits such as CalFresh and Medical.
- During these most difficult times of the pandemic and social unrest, mental wellness, stress and anxiety have taken a toll. Our Mental Wellness Program provides counseling services for our area students and their families. Utilizing experienced and licensed practitioners to supervise Marriage and Family Therapists, PsyD and post-Doctoral interns we are able to provide low to no cost clinical services. We also provide services to our area Seniors who are experiencing isolation and stress.